FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is there a cell phone/pda that does this?
Old Jun 22, 2006, 5:05 pm
cblaisd
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Thank you!!

Originally Posted by kanebear
The unlocked Treo 600 will work perfectly. The Treos autoconfigure data settings to whatever carriers' SIM is inserted so no worries there. The updaters are specific to their phones so for an unlocked unit you'd want the generic GSM updater. Only use the AT&T or Cingular ones with their specific branded Treos. You wouldn't even need to call Cingular with the IMEI, simply add data service on. That may be a bit expensive but will cost FAR less than BB service.
I hope that Cingular doesn't tell me they can't add a dataplan on to an ATT sim; they keep wanting me to "upgrade" to a Cingular contract/plan (for two years, of course and with having to change all the phones on our family plan)

The one benefit to buying through Amazon is that they're good about refunds and claims and such.
Even for private sellers?

Ebay, well, not so much but it's much easier to verify who's a good seller and who isn't as well as get a look at the device. If they don't show you the screen and it's condition (working), don't buy it. Orange splotches are common and indicate screen damage.
Thanks for the heads up.

In NO CASE would I go for the new Treo from Cingular and extend the contract. Just buy one off Ebay.
Again, thanks. A friend reports that he is not happy with the 650 upgrade from his 600; he says the 650 is significantly flakier.

EDIT -- Question: Will either the unlocked GSM version OR one locked to Cingular work? (I am a former ATT wireless customer and still have an ATT sim for my phone on my now-Cingular account)

Last edited by cblaisd; Jun 22, 2006 at 6:52 pm