FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is there a cell phone/pda that does this?
Old Jun 22, 2006, 4:01 pm
kanebear

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Thank you.

What would you suggest for a source?

eBay unlocked ones seem to be around $125.

Amazon has some from private sellers (I'm a little skeptical of the$50 one!):
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...Fencoding=UTF8

I notice that on Palm's website, there is a specific updater file to download for those who are now-Cingular-formerly-ATT customers (which would be me and the two phones on our family plan)

I could get a Treo 650 upgrade to my current plan for $200, but that would mean a) going from an ATT sim to a Cingular one (and, the Cingular people told me, that that would necessitate getting two new phones for our family plan -- which I and family don't want to do), b) committing to a new 2 year contract.

If I got, though, a Treo 600 off of eBay, is it simply a matter of dropping in my current ATT sim, calling Cingular with the IMEI number, downloading and updating the phone via Palm's website.

More thanks for your patience
The unlocked Treo 600 will work perfectly. The Treos autoconfigure data settings to whatever carriers' SIM is inserted so no worries there. The updaters are specific to their phones so for an unlocked unit you'd want the generic GSM updater. Only use the AT&T or Cingular ones with their specific branded Treos. You wouldn't even need to call Cingular with the IMEI, simply add data service on. That may be a bit expensive but will cost FAR less than BB service.

The one benefit to buying through Amazon is that they're good about refunds and claims and such. Ebay, well, not so much but it's much easier to verify who's a good seller and who isn't as well as get a look at the device. If they don't show you the screen and it's condition (working), don't buy it. Orange splotches are common and indicate screen damage.

In NO CASE would I go for the new Treo from Cingular and extend the contract. Just buy one off Ebay.