FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Economy from US to Beijing
View Single Post
Old Jun 20, 2006, 5:17 pm
AandT

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by thadlo
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I must admit that some (many) of your abbreviations are lost on me
I am at my sisters mercy on this trip but I'm hoping to guide her a bit as she buys our tickets. This is an adoption trip for her so we might fly home out of either Hong Kong or Guangzhou. She lives in South Carolina and I live in MI so we will each have to travel somewhere to meet up before the LONG flight.
What about foreign airlines? I've read good things about Cathay Pacific. How about China Southern? Is the cost more on these airlines? I like the thought of personal video screens, and free booze would be a bonus .
Thanks again.
If you are traveling for an adoption you may want to check into "adoption fares." I know that Northwest has one that allows alot more flexibility. Not sure how the fare would compare with regularly published fares. I am guessing that other airlines have them as well.

You also may consider what is called an "open jaw" booking, or flying in to one city and out of a different one. This would allow you to fly in to Beijing and out of Guangzhou or Hong Kong. You would have to make the China domestic portion on your own of course. Usually pricing is the same or very close. For example with Continental you could fly into Beijing and out of Hong Kong. (Both non-stops to/from Newark) Or with Northwest you could fly out of Guangzhou.