FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How much is a European SIM card, exactly?
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:43 am
lili
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by Emma65
Europe is a continent with many different countries (not states as in US or provinces as in Canada) who each have their own mobile phone providers, country codes etc.

So here are a few questions back at you:

1) Which country?

2) What network? Here in UK there is Vodafone, O2, Orange, T-mobile, 3, Virgin and I wouldn't be surprised if I have missed a few.

You don't pay per week. You prepay your airtime and it will last for months depending on network and how much you use it.

A sim card with £1 credit to start you off with can cost as little as £5. Minute charges varies but are in the region of 35pence per minute on most networks.

/E
There's the problem.

1. Last year it was France and Israel. This year Germany, the UK, the Czech Republic, Austria and Slovenia. Next year, who knows. These are once a year trips lasting about one week.

2. Thanks for the t-mobile link. I'm beginning to understand this. US phone networks keep us totally in the dark and mostly tied to 2-year contracts, so it's like we're children.

Cingular is not my friend, but it's what works at my home. BTW, they do have a web page on International Roaming, which surprised me. The charge for Prague is $2.29 per minute! I don't want roaming because I don't want to be receiving calls from random friends who think I'm at home. And voicemail messages.

I know you can buy more minutes at newstands, etc., can you get sim cards there also?