FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How much is a European SIM card, exactly?
Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:45 am
lili
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
How much is a European SIM card, exactly?

Have an unlocked Blackberry (thanks FT for the howto info) with Cingular and travel to Europe 2-4 times a year for about a week at a time. I would like an emergency phone in Europe since I travel alone, and on occasion would like to contact FT friends in same Euro city.

Sites like mobal.com and other FT recommended places are selling sims for $70+ others are cheaper but expire if not used frequently.

1. what is the approx. cost for a sim bought "in country" ? If it's over 10 USD per week I'd have difficulty justifying the cost, see #2

2. since phone is for emergency (and alarm features!) would international roaming just be the way to go?

3. would someone explain how to cancel voice but keep other features? and can you change back when you come back to the USA?

4. My Blackberry is on the home network -- email is redirected through my laptop. So, if in Europe with laptop, there is no apparent way to send/receive email. Is there a runaround? Would putting the redirect software on Mr. liil's computer (he doesn't travel) allow me access when in Europe?

Sheesh, I hate feeling so dumb, but I give up. Any help appreciated.