FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CVG-London: Buy 1, Get 10 Free
View Single Post
Old Aug 2, 2003, 2:32 pm
Cholula
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dovster:
The more I look at the difference between Business Class and Economy Class fares, the less I can understand why anybody would shell out to fly in front of the curtain.</font>
Hey Dovster...good post. I flew Int'l Economy once in my life...early '80's I believe.. and swore to never do so again. So far I've been successful in upgrading many dozens of Int'l flights. It's probably the rare person who pays full boat for Int'l Business. Most of my flights are in the $1,000-$2,000 range and upgradeable with PMU's or miles. If paying $7,000+ for a Business Class seat was my only option, I'd happily join you in the back of the bus.
The same price/value argument you made on airline seats can also be made on hotel rooms...why pay hundreds of dollars for a suite at the Ritz Carlton when you can get a Motel 6 down the street for $49/night? Or going to a gourmet restaurant rather than Mickey D's for dinner. Same thing on buying a Mercedes rather than a Hyundai. Both cars will take you where you want to go in the same length of time.
Guess some people just want to treat themselves to the best life has to offer. Others take a Clark Howard approach to life and squeeze a dollar until it cries.
I'm actually thrilled that everybody doesn't want to sit up front. It's hard enough to score a seat up there anyway and I'd rather not have any more competition.