FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why obsess getting into AA first class?
View Single Post
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:13 pm
daveinsf

Programs: UA Premier, BA, AA, HHonors Gold
The problem is the whole U.S. airline industry rather than AA

I was pondering this very question as I rode home to SF from STL last night in F on AA583. It was an upgrade but I'd paid $240 for the coupons for Mrs. daveinSF and I to have the extra comfort. The roomier seats are what you are paying for in my opinion. Yeah, you can get a drink or two but that's not worth more than $10 or $15 since neither of us are big drinkers. The food is worth very little. Even in first class it seems you are better off bringing your own since the meals seems to be at best what they were serving in coach a decade ago.

I think a fare schedule similar to what Southwest uses would make sense. One fare if you buy your ticket in advance, a second fare for walk-ups and a third and fourth for first class. I'd suggest for round-trip flights longer than 1500 miles, charge $400 for advance purchase coach,, $500 for walk-up coach, $600 for advance purchase first class and $700 for walk-up first class. The airlines would probably take in more and they could drop the crazy pricing system they have now and maybe spend an extra five spot on slightly better meals offerings.