FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Upgraded Travel to South Africa Options for MileagePlus Members" Thread
Old Jun 5, 2006, 8:50 pm
PATRLR

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Consolidated "Upgraded Travel to South Africa Options for MileagePlus Members" Thread

There are a lot of threads I could have posted this in, picking the right one was tough. It is also fairly specific enough that I thought it might justify its own thread. To the mods, if you disagree, I apologize and obviously, move it to where you feel is best.

There is lots in this forum on using paper SWUs to upgrade on LH. Many of them make reference to an upgrade list, and there tends to be an implication that said list will be used in some sort of orderly fashion to execute the upgrades.

Well, I am here to tell you that in JNB, if there is a list, it ain't used. Or, at least it was not used on the evening of June 3.

I was on LH 573 to FRA, had my paper SWU, mentioned it at check-in, was told I was added to the "upgrade list", proceed to board at the proper time and if my upgrade cleared, the gate reader would reject my BP and the GA at the counter would print me a new BP. "Technology is wonderful", I was thinking, and leave it to the German National airline to implement such an orderly upgrade procedure. NOT!

As it turns out, the UGs are awarded on a first come, first served basis by the gate agents with no regard to status, list postion, or anything else. Two folks in front of me got upgrades, I got mine, and the guy right behind me got his and I heard the GA tell him, "you're going to get the last one". I couldn't help but think if I hadn't come down earlier than necessary, I probably wouldn't have gotten my upgrade.

Also, be aware that the gates are on the lower level (ride a bus to mid-field). As you come down the escalator, if you see a long line, chances are that is the line for economy boarding. I'd suggest walking around that line and walking up to the desk.