FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cellphone Carriers - South India on 1800 mhz
Old Jun 5, 2006, 5:37 am
ROW2Aisle

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Roaming costs in India high for USA based phones

Originally Posted by cpx
Yeap! I think you can roam with your Cingular, Tmobile,
Sprint or Verozon phones in India (Yes.. you also have CDMA
roaming there)
I've used Cingular & T-Moble roaming in India and was paying around USD$2.99/minute. I use two phones while in India; a local pre-paid account for all calls and use my US based one only to receive emergency calls from the US. You are better off getting a local pre-paid SIM card and using that for local & international calls. Incoming calls with your prepaid are free in your local calling zone.

Make sure before you leave the US that your US based phone is setup with your US service provider to allow for international roaming.

If you have a US based callback service for making international calls while traveling then you can use your prepaid local India number as the one to receive your callback as you'll not be paying airtime but only the callback rates. Do this only if your USA based callback service rates are lower than your outgoing calls made with a prepaid India based account.