FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Odd Driving Customs
View Single Post
Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:51 pm
cyberdad

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I have lived in 9 states, driven in dozens more, as well as several other countries. Only in Alabama have I observed these 2 customs.

1. Turn signals for the car ahead of you. When a local driver activates his turn signal, he is likely to be copied by the driver behind him. I believe that the intention is to warn other drivers that this would not be a good time to pass. For a left turn, that makes sense, although it aggravates me that others automatically assume I'm not paying attention or am too impatient to tolerate the least delay or slowdown. Makes no sense for right turns (a less common practice) and potentially leads to other accidents because the signal is false.

2. Stopping for funeral processions. Put a line of cars on the opposite side of the road, with headlights burning during daytime hours, and the typical Alabama driver will pull off the road. I understand not cutting into one. I understand keeping intersections clear. I don't get pulling over. I've even observed it on multi-lane limited access highways. I thought I had witnessed a false procession pullover this past Sunday as I was in a long line of cars in a driving rainstorm. Turns out there was a tornado overhead and behind me that was causing drivers on the opposite side to stop.

These are my observations. Any from elsewhere?
From time to time you'll see this in the Midwest....usually in rural areas.

Is it just my perception....or does Alabama have its own little "Boston" when it comes to driving in Mobile?

I was having lunch with a customer a few years back, and on our way to the restaurant we observed a couple of particularly brazen traffic manoevers. (to put it mildly!!!)

My customer wasn't at all fazed by this. He simply announced, "Contrary to what you may think, Jack, they actually DO sell cars with brakes here. Its just that nobody's ever gotten around to ever using them".