FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Honeymoon Award Travel Using Delta Air Lines SkyMiles: The Definitive Thread
Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:20 am
fcrit

I've just gotten through helping my newly-married brother with this - I gave them Biz Class tix to Europe as their wedding present.

The suggestion to go straight to the partner desk is dead on - they are the people who understand how many options there are. Even though time is a bit short before d-day, you should be able to score 2 Biz Class SkySaver tickets if you're willing to connect. The award will fly you on to another point in Europe, so you could fly DC-Paris-Athens on one 80K award, so long as it's a connection, not a stopover.

Be creative with the gateways - my brother and his wife wanted to fly into Rome and return from Paris. Nonstop Delta flights were long gone, but they are going Atlanta-Munich on Delta/Munich-Rome on Alitalia, and Paris-Miami on Air France/Miami-Atlanta on Delta, and it's working just fine. The key is the long hop - there are a limited number of gateways, even with partners included. Any flights within Europe seem to be pretty easy to get.

Be patient with the phone rep, and if you don't feel like the person is being "creative" enough, just wave off and call back in. For me it took three times, but I finally got someone who was willing to look at all the options.

Also, check back on the itinerary at least every two weeks after you finalize it - there will be lots of flight changes thru the summer and they will not call you. My brother's original return was Paris-Barcelona-Atlanta, but when Delta cancelled the Barcelona-Atlanta flights they routed them Paris-Barcelona-New York-Atlanta. We caught it and revised to keep them on a two leg trip by routing thru Miami.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by fcrit (edited 06-05-2003).]