FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Everything you wanted to know about the confirmed same-day change process
Old May 27, 2006, 7:52 am
thegingerman

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MrAOK
I'm guessing that even if i'm first on that waiting list, anyone who pays the $25 4 hours before the 9.am. flight will have priority over me.

Do I understand that right?
Mostly. They won't technically have a higher priority than you, because they won't be standing by. When they call up, there will either be a seat available or there won't, and they'll either pay $25 to take it or not. They won't be "waiting" or "standing by" for anything.

So yes, they may get a seat that could have eventually gone to you, but they'll get it because they used a different process, not because they were higher priority.

Originally Posted by MrAOK
If i check in on line and do the optional standby, I have trouble believing they are going to put me in front of the people they overbooked, even if I'm first on the standby list. Are they?
No, they won't. They take care of a bunch of higher priority people before you (higher priority due to their situation, not due to status or fare class.) Then, when all those of a higher SITUATIONAL priority (called BP levels or something) are taken care of, then you'll be ranked, along with others trying to stand by just as you are, on the basis of status, fare class, and time added to the list.