FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Nagoya Marriott Associa Hotel, Japan [Master Thread]
Old May 27, 2006, 7:12 am
RTWSTARALLIANCE

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Takayama day trip

From Nagoya you will depart and arrive on track 11. The fastest trip takes a little more than 2 hours each way. The town is up in the mountains and it has been said lost in time. I think not. The town has been turned into a commercial enterprise much like my native Sacramento has its own Old Sacramento. It is well worth the trip as a day trip from Nagoya and Kyoto. A day trip from Osaka or Tokyo would be pushing it. Trust me. I am now in Hakata and it has been a long day.

If you have a JR pass the fare is included. I have a Green Car pass. The train up was 2 by 1 and back down 2 by 2. The 2 by 1 is much better. The trains are made for views with huge windows. My real treat actually came on the train with a brief look at the Japan Alps. Beautiful. You can not see on the ground in Takayama.

The town as stated in made for tourists. That being said when you leave the station and there is only one exit head towards the information booth. Ask for a brouchure in English. They were not on the counter. This excellent color brouchure (brought one back for your SanDiego1k) will be your guide. That further being said I did not have enough time. It was clear this should have been a one night trip in Takayama. I did see a building with a Best Western sign. It is only a one night trip. You will see the historic old town, period houses, Hida village, morning markets, temples, museums and floats. Note only a one night trip.

I always thought it interesting Japan resisted CA rice which tastes much better. The Japanese govt must provide a subsidy because it seems every family has a rice field. On the way to Takayama you will see this. When you leave and enter Nagoya you will be seated backwards. Rest assured the Japanese have taken care of this. All will be resolved in Gifu.

I was not able to find weather info on yahoo for Takayama. As it is in the mountains it could be cold. Dress properly and be ready. That being said again I overpacked as many others did also. There are lockers at Takayama Station. I also got my ticket to return for later and moved forward. This would be advised as it was to me. The later trains fill fast as everyone tries to leave at the late afternoon. Since you will probably have a pass get both you tickets for each way. Well that is it for Takayama. A place for me to return. Regards