FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Nagoya Marriott Associa Hotel, Japan [Master Thread]
Old May 26, 2006, 12:20 pm
RTWSTARALLIANCE

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Marriott Nagoya with day trip to Takayama report 5/11 & 05/26/2006

INFO ON TAKAYAMA. See below.

Preface: In Japan for a solid week of sightseeing. On the agenda- Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, Takayama, Fukuoka (Hakata stop on JR), Hiroshima, Miyajima, Kure, Fukuoka and Osaka. Have JR Green Car pass. 37,800 yen.

Rate: I booked the rate online and picked the least expensive. I have no Marriott status and asked kindly for a upgrade. The Westin was less but less convenient and the Hilton was more.

Transportation: I arrived into KIX so this was my first trip "up". Considering I arrived on AC at around 3 PM and was into Nagoya Station at 6:11 PM I was pleasantly surprised. At KIX I sent a box, recharged my Vodaphone and exchanged my rail pass good time. From KIX I took the Haruka to Kyoto Station then transferred to the Shinkansen. This is much easier the a transfer at Osaka Station. Also the Haruka Green Car is much less crowded.

Check-in: I was fortunate to get a agent we had very good English. She spent 9 months in Australia and Perth in particular. She was also familiar with Takayama having been there. I was given a room on 33 looking out towards Nagoya. Better than the wedge from the last trip.

Perks: None. But that is ok.

Room: A standard Marriott Associa Room but about 40% larger than last year.

Communications: Free wired HSIA.

Closing: SIDE TRIP TO TAKAYAMA. I have been hearing about this town for a few years. That is exactly what it is. A town left in time so to speak. You can find my info I was surprised online. I am about to google it again. From Nagoya Station you will take the JR EX wide view train from track 11. (thank you yasuki for that info) Now you need to plan you day well. I need to be in Hakata this evening for my stay. The first regular train it looks for all days departure is 8:43 AM with arrival at 10:52. The train apparently has a Green Car as that was noted on each of my tickets by the agent. According to the Marriott agent you exit and walk straight forward to reach the old town area of Takayama. My departure is in a few hours and I will report back. According to Life_Platinum who has been to the town a few years ago there should be a Best Western. I could not find it and it may have changed chains. I picked the Marriott so I could leave my luggage and pick it up when I pass via Nagoya to Hakata. Will advise much more later. Regards