FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rudeness by US customs/immigration officials
Old May 25, 2006, 8:13 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have never had any major problems with airport immigration coming into the US. I've generally found them to be professional and efficient.

Coming in by car from Canada is a total other story. Those people are downright sullen, suspicious, and worst of all extremely inefficient. It took me 90 minutes to get across the border from Vancouver back to Seattle once. Over an hour crossing into New York State. That's totally absurd under any circumstances short of an active state of war and a known and imminent threat against that border station. It's not even that those officers was really using the "War on Terror" as cover to get aggressive with people: they are just slow and inefficient.

I've been questioned pretty hard going into Canada and the UK on a couple of occasions, but never to the extent where I was delayed any length of time. I don't mind thorough procedures and I don't mind getting questioned - as long as the process is efficient and professional and gets me on my way fast.