FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What was Delta's old international First & Business class like?
Old Apr 10, 2003, 2:21 pm
NYC Flyer

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Flew Delta First ATL-GRU in 8/97. Seating, as expected, was 2-2-1, with 8mm video. Recline was almost flat--very similar to AA's current seats, I think.

Service was outstanding. On the flight down, the cabin was full. On the way back, I was the only pax, and the FA made up all three entrees for me just in case I didn't like the first one. Also insisted on opening a box of Godivas for me, even though I didn't want any. Here are some points that I remember:

-China and crystal were full-size, very elegant with gold leaf and discreet placement of Delta logos.
-Food was excellent. I remember monkfish with black fettucine as one dinner entree.
-Didn't drink champagne at the time, so no memory of the brand
-Captain came out of the cockpit to talk with me on the return flight.
-Chocolates were served after dessert
-Trip back was on a 76G (the old Gulf Air planes) which had just been acquired. Tucked into the menus on that flight were notes from inflight service management apologizing for the new aircraft being "different" from the standard fleet. I couldn't tell anything wrong, but perhaps the galley set up or entertainment options were not consistent with the rest of the fleet?
-Amenity kits were kind of cheap (not as cheap as today's). Kind of like a tri-fold plastic thing. Don't remember any branded supplies inside.
-Upon check-in at GRU, was invited to the LH lounge (which was just OK) prior to departure.