FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Everything you wanted to know about the confirmed same-day change process
Old May 16, 2006, 12:54 pm
Pat89339
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I am reporting in on my most recent use of the $25 confirmed standby.

I was originally scheduled for a flight from SFO/PHX at 6:15 a.m. The thought of having to get to the airport that early was not appealing, so I called United around midnight to see what my options were.

The first CSR said that she could only confirm 4 hours before the flight I wanted to take--not the flight I was on. I told her that I would have to miss my originally scheduled flight with nothing protecting me. What would happen if there was no room on later flights? She said that it was the risk I took for opting for standby. Clearly this didn't make sense because what's the point of calling it a guaranteed standby? I thanked her, hung up, and called back.

The next CSR had no problem confirming me and my travelling companion on the more civil 9:20 a.m. flight.

So twice I have been successful in getting a CSR to stretch the 4 hour window when the flights are early in the morning.