FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Baggage Without Passenger
View Single Post
Old May 14, 2006, 10:39 am
Cholula
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by sunspot
Hi!

The airline I work for says... if a passenger boards the aircraft then deplanes, their bags MUST be taken off the flight before departure. I'm told it's a security risk not to get the bags off. (And I know full well they don't get it done all the time.)

Here's my question... if bags can't fly without the passenger how do lost bags get to there destination? Really! How is this different?

Please give me a break if this seems ridiculous. I just want to know the thinking behind this rule.

I'll probably be posting many more questions I can't get answers to at work. This is the most frustrating job I've ever had. No, I won't tell you which airline. LOL.

sunspot....welcome to FT and the TS/S Forum! Glad to have you join us.
I think one answer to your question is that the airlines have the option of putting your bag on other flights if they decide to do so for whatever reason. Could be because of too much baggage on a particular flight or it could be the example you gave....they're returning a misdirected bag to it's owner. Even in this day of matching pax with bags I've had my bag put on an earlier flight than the one I was on. But that was a decision made by the airline and one unbeknownst to me.
The key here is that the airlines...with some guidance, I assume, from TSA.....call the shots here. It's not something the pax have any control or say so over. And someone disembarking after their baggage is loaded is a bit unusual and certainly calls for that person's bag to be off-loaded. Plus if the pax suddenly doesn't want to go to X city than I'd assume s/he doesn't want their bags going there either so it makes sense.