FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ritz-Carlton Kapalua, Maui [Master Thread]
Old May 11, 2006, 12:16 pm
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Actually convention rates are often higher than the regular rates (the Ritz Maui is an exception, perhaps they have trouble attracting conventions due to the location). I saw a WSJ article explaining how some hotels were penalizing organizers when attendees booked lower rates through priceline or even the hotel booking engines. It is a major issue because most attendees are not stupid and have no incentive to book the higher rate.

As for fantasyland, well, I don't do Disneyland. But I would agree that hotels generally have a wide variety of rates. The ones that offer me their best rate (often priceline) will continue to get my business. I have stayed at many Ritz properties on business (sometimes even at the government rate), but I am not going to pay $365/nt (fall 2005 Maui ROH rate) when I know the person next door paid $165. Too many others want my business, and the Kapalua property is not particularly special. Yes, airlines have different fare buckets, but the inventories are open to everyone. Just as anyone can buy a carton of 18 eggs or join Costco.

You're right, though, I shouldn't be pissed at Ritz - it's just business and we all know RC does not have a formal loyalty program to reward me for all my past business.