FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - carry on weight common sense
View Single Post
Old May 2, 2006, 2:45 pm
AAaLot

Originally Posted by seanp7
You were inconvenienced for sure, but I'd rather spend 5 minutes waiting for the idiot in front of me to get his bag down to 6kgs than proceed on board in 30 seconds and get hit by a 10kg bag.
Obviously the higher the weight the more it will hurt, yet serious injuries are not common due to falling object. [I know you will find links to stories here, but I think that will just prove how sensational these events are]. Staistically you are more apt to be injured by the drink cart [this actually does happen very often].

Even a 1 kilo object will hurt when falling from above--why not limit carry ons to 1 kilo? In the interest of safety we should. In the interest of common sense we should not. [go pick up a 1 kilo object right now and play with it].

Why not get rid of drink carts [actually some airlines have done this (take your order at your seat) with the primary goal of reducing injuries].

If everyone uses sense [put stuff under the seat, check your bags when you can, etc.] you can go to the airplane mfg rated weights.

For a business person 7kg x 2 is sometimes not enough unless you also check bags. Granted a lot of airports are fast, but from what I have heard here some are slow. The slow ones will have a hidden permanent 'time tax' associated with them.

For reasons stated, generally speaking I would say this 'hidden time tax' is something that is less in the USA than Australia/NZ. I don't like paying taxes

Last edited by AAaLot; May 2, 2006 at 3:08 pm