FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - best luxury ski resort??
View Single Post
Old May 1, 2006, 2:00 pm
DENPremEx

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
I would beg to differ. WB has great skiing, there's no doubt about it BUT the snow they receive can be on the heavy side. Its not uncommon for it to snow up top and rain at the bottom. Anyone familiar with CA skiing is familiar with the term "Sierra Cement" and that can sometimes describe the snow at WB. Don't misunderstand me, the resort is great and the skiing is great but my favorite is JH and the FS (The Snake River Lodge is nice also).

JH gets dumped on with snow and its usually very light (much lower water content than the Pacific Northwest/Western BC - Eastern BC, the Monashees, the Purcells, etc. are different). The terrain at JH is very challenging, some of the most difficult in North America. The terrain off the (former) tram (RIP) is almost exclusively expert terrain with extreme terrain accesible out of bounds via gate access (do not proceed out there without a beacon, shovel, other neccesary equipment and the proper training, the terrain is very difficult and the avalanche danger ranges from moderate to severe). JH has an abundance of intermediate terrain accesible off the gondola (you'll stay nice and dry if its snowing). Teton Village is fairly small with a few shops and restaurants. Jackson is a short drive away but make sure you go to the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar, its a landmark.

BC is a great resort but its close to me so I don't think of it as a destination resort. When I go on a ski vacation I want to go someplace that I don't ski (somewhat) regularly.