View Single Post
Old Apr 28, 2006, 6:18 pm
ORD Finn

Some of my favorite restaurants in Helsinki include:

Demo
tel. (09) 2289 0840
Uudenmaankatu 9-11
[email protected]
Reserve a table ahead! This is a small and popular place run by ambitious, but very nice young chefs. Cuisine is Scandinavian-French style. Service is great.

George
Kalevankatu 17
tel. (09) 647 662
The chef is very good and has one Michelin star.

Nokka
Kanavaranta 7
Tel. +358-9-687 7330
This place is in a nice old red-brick warehouse. Good food made mostly from local "Finnish" ingredients.

Havis
Eteläranta 16
Tel: +358-9-6869 5660
The best upscale seafood restaurant in town.

All the restaurants mentioned above are quite upscale and pricey. For a 'rougher' experience (with great food!) try
Sea Horse
Kapteeninkatu 11
(09) 628 169

If you want to try reindeer stew, I'd forget those touristy Lapland theme restaurants and go to
Manala
Dagmarinkatu 2
(09) 580 77 707
Well, maybe I would not go there for a business dinner (or wearing a business suit)... but you won't leave feeling hungry

If the weather is nice you should enjoy some fish at the market by the harbor.

For sightseeing, Suomenlinna is very nice (depending on weather, of course). Also a walk or jog around Kaivopuisto should be enjoyable. Japanese tourists seem to love the Temppeliaukio Church, the 'rock church'. Several museums are close by your hotel, e.g. the modern art museum Kiasma. The National Opera House is of very high quality if you like that kind of music. Lots of shops, bars, clubs etc. are around your hotel. Do you have any specific interests?

For sauna and swimming go to Yrjönkadun uimahalli, which is a really beautiful art deco building from 1920s. Observe different entrance hours for men and women. For more info: http://www.hel2.fi/liv/eng/yrjonkatu.html

Tourist information office
Helsinki map

I hope you have a great stay in Helsinki!