FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Raja Fashions 'visiting tailors' (HK) - any good?
Old Apr 27, 2006, 3:30 pm
MetalDoggy

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Hi - I feel awful about Laplap's experience - the same almost happened to my parents but not quite...

I actually went to Raja when my parents were in Hong Kong based on the start of this thread as my Dad wanted a Hong Kong suit. So I took my parents along. Before I went I asked my dad what he wanted. "One suit" he said. My mum "I'd quite like a suit but I'm a bit scared". Ugh.

The sales guys were pretty "good". Ours was Richard, the one I liked most was the big Sikh although I didn't get his name. They deconstructed my father's current suit, split my parents up so I could only watch over one at a time and when their semi charm didn't work, a young guy - son of Mr Raja - came in with the hard sell.

If I hadn't been there I don't know what they would have come away with. As it was my dad ordered a suit and two shirts (to see what they were like) and after he was finished my mum decided she would like a suit too. When we went back for the fitting my dad was persuaded to get a sports jacket and trousers. They seemed almost psychic finding exactly the check he likes without him asking for it.

My mum was almost persuaded to get a second suit too but could not find the shade of red she wanted. They continued to try and sell more until I said very loudly "If you stop now then I'll bring them back next year - if you keep on going on like this then you'll never see us again".

They stopped.

That night my dad felt sick - he was basically upset by the amount of money he'd spent despite the fact he wanted/needed these (Scottish...). I think it was concern that they wouldn't turn out right.

However - my dad was very happy with both his purchases (ecstatic with the shirts - I got him 5 more for his birthday!) and my mum was delighted with hers. What is also worth pointing out is that the tailors (the sales people are NOT the tailors - they are Chinese guys - the sales guys are Indian) clearly took pride in their work - where they thought things looked better they fought for it (my parents both agreed they were right in hindsight) and I genuinely believe they care about the quality of their product.

It is still too early to see how the clothes sit after travel/wear but no problems so far.

Prices (we didn't negotiate hard):

Mum's two piece suit HK$ 4,300 (US$ 550, £315)
Dad's two piece suit HK$ 3,250 (US$ 420, £240)
Shirts (each) HK$350 (US$ 45, £25)
Sports jacket plus trousers HK$ 3,172 (US$ 410, £230)

Plus they threw in a couple of ties and a silk scarf for free.

These are clearly a lot cheaper than the London prices.

I'd suggest that it is not worth paying extra for poorer service out of the UK. There are many places in the UK you can get decent suits for not far off their UK prices (a few have been suggested and even Austin Reed's made to measure service is pretty bang on for not too much more)

Before you go near one of these guys know exactly what you want and how much you are willing to pay and DO NOT DEVIATE. They sense weakness and pounce. NEVER GET MORE THAN ONE SUIT MADE THE FIRST TIME YOU GO TO A TAILOR - TO DO SO IS MAD.

I'll also make one other recommendation in Hong Kong.

William Cheng & Son
8th Floor Han Hing Mansion
38 Hankow Road
T.S.T.
Kowloon
852 2366 0709

This was suggested to me by a colleague who'd tried a few tailors and said they all seemed okay until you started moving. Cheng's was recommended to him by a friend and he said their suits "at least touched the right bits". I have had two made here and they are not perfect but are fine. I was even complemented by a friend who is a hobbyist seamstress - she described my black herringbone as looking like a "well made, crisp, new suit".

The cost (just over two years ago) was a smidge over £200 per suit (with two pairs of trousers) and I wear each once or twice per week. They are not yet looking tired. When I went in I said "I'd like a suit" and that was what he tried to sell me. He suggested two pairs of trousers and once I was fitted and happy I asked for him to make another. No problem - no pushing or trying to make me get other stuff. Each took a couple of weeks with two fittings.

For £200 - a bargain but these are by no means Saville Row.

Also when I was getting measured there was an American in getting measured for a white tuxedo for a stag do. He didn't want his normal tailor to make it as the guy was quite pricey (high chance it would get trashed in one night) so HIS TAILOR had told him to go to this guy!!!

I hope this helps - Hong Kong suits are exactly that - cheaper (and better) in Hong Kong. If you want a suit in the UK, I'd find a UK based tailor as YOU KNOW WHERE THEY LIVE...

Hope this helps.