FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - carry on weight common sense
View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:47 pm
serfty
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
This thread is quite amusing to me. IMO, it really is a "Storm in a Teacup" and 50 posts is completely out of proportion. (Although I have now contributed. )

The gripe is along the lines that the bags' content had to be rearranged to comply with regulations; presumably if one bag originally weighed 10kg, the other four would have totalled ~20kg.

That the OP was travelling in business is of no account here. According to Post #1, there were five people travelling with five bags with a total weight of 30kg.

For what it's worth, total carry-on weight is not an issue here; those same 5 travellers could have had 10 bags between them with a total weight of 70kg; this for either Domestic or Business class! Yes, that's correct, 40Kg more - over double what they actually had.

As posted by perthite, it just so happens that this week CASA had launched a crackdown on the size and weight of carry-on luggage and the OP and family were caught up in it.

Originally Posted by AAalot
... Other than making 5 plats upset, plus everyone behind us upset, what does this prove? ...
Not much, other than regulations state maximim item weight of 7Kg and the staff member checking your weight might not have wanted to risk losing their job.

... Again the heaviest bag was 10 kilos, that was going under the seat so safety is not the answer. ...
See above about employee retaining employment ...

... I love australia, but I am glad I don't have to fly Qantas all the time. ...
No point in singling out Qantas here; given this week's CASA crackdown, the OP would have found the same issues with just about all Oz Airlines.