FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone Try the Low Fat or Low Calorie Special Meals?
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:18 pm
SEA1K4EVR

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Well I completed my travels last night. I requested low calorie meals on all flights. The meals are definitely low calorie when compared to the regular meals however the portions are no smaller so if you're really trying to restrict calories you will not want to eat everything. I was pretty satisfied overall.

SEA-DEN, F class, non-Sh*ttle 737 with oven, 7:30am departure:
4 medium sized pancakes with a warm orange flavored syrup (very lite, not thick high calorie syrup..it was very tasty). I only ate 2 of the pancakes. I think some of the syrup may have spilled out prior to being served to me because there was not nearly enough in the container. Small fruit plate on the side and it came with a small raisin bagel (prepackaged) and some fat free cream cheese. Everyone else was offered a hot breakfast sandwich or a fruit plate... my breakfast looked better!

DEN-EWR, F class, 757, noonish departure: as described in a previous posting by someone else... a warm chicken breast with a side container of a chunky tomato sauce served over a HUGE bed of "orzo" pasta...but I actually think it was cous cous, not orzo. There were mushrooms in it (no garlic). Also a side of warm spinach. Came with a side salad and a prepackaged roll and vegan chocolate chip cookie. Pretty tasty meal...chicken was tender and moist.

JFK-LHR, C class, 777, 6:18pm departure: Appetizer course was a cold marinated veggie plate with a variety of veggies (portobello, asparagus, etc). The standard appetizer was shrimp & parma ham so I had the shrimp along with some of my veggies. If you're a big veggie fan you'd probably like the plate... but I'm not so it was just OK for me. The main course was again a chicken breast with the red sauce but it was served with white rice and a different vegetable (dont remember what kind). The salad did not come with any salad dressing so I had the asian viniagrette being offered standard. Dessert was a package of 4 Snackwells chocolate cookies (200 calories in the dessert). Also a pretty tasty meal. There was no special meal for the pre-arrival snack (continental breakfast).

LHR-IAD, C class, 777, 11:50am departure: Appetizer course again was a cold marrinated veggie plate though slightly different vegetables...lots of peppers in this one...it was tastier than the one on the previous flight. Main course was again chicken breast with white rice but it had some kind of onion sauce on it that was really good. Came with a side salad and packets of light dressing (only flight I saw special salad dressing), rye crackers instead of bread..a good low calorie alternative to the rolls. Low calorie butter flavored spread too. The pre-arrival snack was nice... a piece of cold salmon with lemon and vegetables and some more rye crackers.

IAD-SEA, C Class, 767, 5:05pm departure: Salmon on rice with vegetables and a vegan chocolate chip cookie. Side salad with no dressing offered (I would have asked for some but I wasn't in a salad mood at that point).