FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Across the Globe in 5 Continents
View Single Post
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:51 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
THE HEAT IS ON continued

Boarding is called and I head out to the gate. I notice we have the same aircraft from the other day. The flight is quite full but we leave on time. The taxi is slow due to the maintenance on the main runway - the secondary runway (which normally serves as taxiway) is being used instead. Flying time is longer than usual owing to very strong headwinds (ground speed not much over 700 km/h much of the way), and we have enough time for both movie cycles and a complete repeat of the first cycle also. The flight path took us south of Hobart and then northwest across the Great Australian Bight.

As posted above, there is a strong similarity in the menu from the previous two flights. We arrive late, but as Perth doesnt see too many international flights immigration, customs and agriculture screening don't take long.

Parmelia Hilton had a great special rate which I couldn't pass up - and this will help my requalification effort too. For the first time I can recall there is no complimentary wine, however there is a nice room upgrade to a suite.

The next day I take the train to the port of Freemantle, like Auckland a former home to the America's Cup. I while away the warm morning wandering around looking at the old town and the markets, before heading to the jazz & blues festival which coincidentally is on today. The afternoon is hot and sunny - a reminder that summer isn't quite ready to give way to autumn. Later, on the way back to the airport I decided I had just enough time for some shopping and even a haircut.

Back at the international terminal and there are lots of passengers milling around. Oh dear the monitors show a significantly delayed flight with expected departure pushed back 9 1/2 hours. It turns out there was a mechanical issue, and since Air New Zealand's fleet is very well utilised that means delay. In all my hundreds of flights I have been fortunate to rarely have major flight delays, with the worst cases weather related.

I have some more flights the next day, scheduled a few hours after the red eye was supposed to arrive. So when I reach the counter I ask my options. The expected arrival time is late enough that I cannot be shifted to later flights that day. The nice agent puts some notes into my record and advises someone will call when I get back to Auckland.

They aren't checking in anyone, but instead issuing hotel and taxi vouchers to spend the night at the Sheraton. I've stayed there before so I know its a nice enough hotel. So an hour after leaving the city for the airport and I'm on my way back to the city. I'm sure it must have taken considerably longer for those without status flying economy.

Even though dinner is included I decide to flag it, prefering instead to take a walk and get to bed early. The wake up call is due at OMG o'clock and I'm not looking forward to it. The shrill of the wake up call does its job. Bleary eyed I check the clock - grrr its early. A note slid under the door explains Air NZ set a group wake up call (makes sense) and booked a bus and cancelled the taxi vouchers. There was a lame excuse about traffic concerns - come on there's hardly going to be any at 3:30 am. After freshening up and checking out, it turns out the bus isnt big enough for everyone so a lucky few stragglers get to go by taxi after all.

Back at the airport, check in is quick but immigration hasn't yet opened. There's a stampede when immigration opens and so a long queue forms. This isnt helped by one of the two officers having problems with her computer. Once through security I browse the duty free and reconfirm prices are better in New Zealand (at least for booze). Air NZ uses the Qantas lounge for *Gold, Koru Club and business class passengers (the Qantas agent who did the checking in forgot to mention this but I know from past experience); however it hasn't yet opened. When it opens 20 minutes later I enter and grab a much needed coffee or three.

The inbound flight arrives even later than expected, probably due to the strong headwinds again, and so boarding is late. Shortly after announcing boarding in the lounge, I'm paged for late boarding. While I appreciate they want a fast turnaround, there was no need for this call as there was still a huge queue in the airbridge when I arrived at the gate.

I notice once again I'm in the same aircraft(!) and of course the same crew who flew over. With the strong tailwinds the flight is very quick - a little over 5 hours compared with close to 8 hours on the way over. The flight path took us south of Adelaide and over Melbourne.

A breakfast is served not long after take off. Sorry no menus handed out due to catering being completely different. I missed the usual fruit selection and plain yoghurt for example.

From memory there was a strawberry smoothie; some fruit (pineapple, melon, watermelon); fruit yoghurt, croissant or blueberry muffin; choice of omlette, mixed grill or fish; tea, coffee, juice or water. There was no snack offered later in the flight.

So I arrived back at Auckland about the time I expected, but without the 2 extra flights elsewhere. Immigration, customs and agriculture check went fairly quick and I was landside within 10 minutes.