FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 3K AAdvantage miles- call to cancel your Citi Visa Card
Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:59 am
ejwills

Programs: UA PremX, Motel 6 Anodized Aluminum
3K AAdvantage miles- call to cancel your Citi Visa Card

After receiving my 15K miles (and no annual fee) for opening a Citi AAdvantage Visa, I callled in to cancel the credit card account (btw, to bypass the phone tree I used the 866 number on Paul English's gethuman.com rather than the 888 number on the back of the card).

For requesting to cancel the card I received an instant 3,000 AAdvantage miles if I offered to hang on to the card (no mandatory period required). Since the fee is waived until next January, I'll hold on to the card for another month or so after the 3K miles post.

BTW, 5 minutes later I tried the same with my UA Mileage Plus Chase card and got squat in return. In fact, the rather snarky customer service rep warned me about jumping ship after receiving the 20K mileage bonus, that it might harm my credit rating to cancel the card this quickly, and that I should hang on to it for at least a year! I politely informed her that my tactics have not stopped me from being bombarded by credit card offers daily and that I was willing to take the risk.

I guess I was lucky the rep didn't try to sell me the 'opportunity' to sit in Economy Plus for the low-low price of $299 per year!