FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ever lost your wallet (all cash and credit cards) while traveling overseas?
Old Mar 21, 2006, 8:46 pm
Foster461

Programs: 1K scum
Last year I was on a biz trip to Edinburgh. I had an afternoon free so I went with a colleague into the city to do some sightseeing. We took a bus and I dropped my wallet somewhere on the bus.. Credit cards, ID, no money though (I keep cash in my pocket).

I called the bus company and I called the police to report the loss (which was my fault btw) and in each case they expressed surprise that I thought I would never see it again.

Called home, got an earful, wife cancelled all credit cards.

My colleague paid my hotel bill with her credit card and I was leaving the next day so I had enough cash to get home. About a week after I got back to the US my wallet appeared intact in my mailbox in a padded envelope, turned in by a bus company employee.

I learned a valuable lesson. When travelling, take only what you need. I didnt need vehicle registrations, Disney vacation club, Disney Dining Card, AARP card, multiple personal credit cards, supermarket loyaly cards etc etc on a biz trip.

So now I take only the minimum and I have a photocopy of my wallet with me and at home before I leave.