FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How long should it take EnRoute to be swapped out each month?
Old Mar 21, 2006, 4:37 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by gbeaumont
The problem is their is no incentive for the groomers. If it was outsourced to the supplier - they will want to make the swap asap as their advertisers want the latest version in the seat pocket. A one or two day a month job just makes sense for it to be outsourced. It is possible that the supplier may do it for free (built in or course).

It is not that the employees are lazy, just that the added work doesn't fit well into their schedule - why not outsource?
This post COMPLETELY fails to take into account airport operations.

Lack of incentive? "Do this or you will lose your job" That's a pretty good incentive.

Groomers HAVE to go into the seat pockets anyways, not only to clear out rubbish, but to make sure the safety card and menu are in there. It's their job. When they groom, they take boxes of all the stuff on board so everything's in easy reach.

What groomers seemingly do now during their downtime, is prepare little baggies with everything, air sickness bag, safety card, entertainment guide, BoB menu. Then when they groom, they bring the bags on board, remove everything, then put in the bag.

Why not outsource? Because that's stupid. Why not outsource Cara to deliver the BoB menus, and the printer to put in the safety cards? For an airline that is asking for AC employees to suggest ways to shed weight off their planes and is keen of the suggesion to dump wine bottles earlier (saving roughly 10kgs), I don't see why outsourcing the delivery of an in-flight magazine into seat pockets is anywhere near logical.

I've never gotten an outdated en-route, I just don't know how this spawns a thread of its own.