FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NY Times Article on Resort Fees
View Single Post
Old Mar 11, 2006, 5:55 pm
RustyC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by fuzz
I protested, but the manager would do nothing. I mentioned that I thought it was just a way to falsely keep their rate low and that I was not told when I booked the room. They pulled out a Priceline printout that had something about resort fees in the fine print. I will definitely be more careful in the future and adjust my bids appropriately. I do feel they looked upon us differently since the reservation was through Priceline.
I once has a $10/day "resort fee" at a 1-star inland motel in Key West booked through Priceline! The 2-stars didn't charge a resort fee but had $50 as the lowest reported bid accepted.

Priceline's language is the vaguest fig leaf possible; they just say they may be imposed and are the guest's responsibility. Right now your best hope if to comb through biddingfortravel.com and read the warnings on various places in various zones and adjust accordingly.

If Priceline gets a bad name for hotel rates that were significantly higher than the bids, then they deserve it. They and other sites could make hotels play fair (at least for customers of those sites) but so far haven't insisted on it.