FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé
View Single Post
Old Mar 9, 2006, 7:16 pm
Dovster
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by gnaget
Duty free booze was never sold between DK and Sweden on the ferries in my lifetime memory, which dates back to the 1970s.
I made the trip in the late 1980's but you might be right -- I took three ferries rides during it and might be confusing them.

Having been told by my USN that booze and smokes were so expensive, I decided to stock up on both at the Duty Free shop in the airport at TLV. (I smoke, she didn't, but she liked to drink at lot more than I do.)

I probably left TLV with about 5 cartons of cigarettes and three bottles of booze. I was on an SAS itinerary which had me landing in Copenhagen and flying back from Stockholm (via Copenhagen).

My first ferry was from Denmark to Germany and when I discovered it had a Duty Free, I picked up a few more bottles of booze.

From Germany, I drove down to a business meeting in Italy. Italian wine being my favorite kind, and prices for it being fairly low, I bought several bottles of Valpolicello, Bardolino, and Soave.

From there I had a second meeting in Switzerland and, naturally, added a few local Swiss wines to the stock. After a third meeting, in Wuppertal Germany, I went to a local store and got some shnapps as well as a case of German beer.

Naturally, on the ferry from Germany to Denmark, I had to go back to the Duty Free shop. I am fairly sure that I remember getting even more booze on the DK-SE ferry but you may be right about that part. I definitely remember seeing lots of people covering up their stashes with blankets and got a bit worried about how much booze I was taking with me: after all, I didn't have a blanket!

I decided to take a pro-active approach to Customs and not give them the chance to call me over for an inspection. The first person who stopped me at the crossing was the guy who just looked at passports. After showing mine to him, I drove right up to the Customs' guy and asked, "Where can I get on E4?"

He told me. I thanked him and immediately drove off!

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Dovster, you have to get to Norway.
That has long been one of my life dreams. We had a group of 10 Norwegian volunteers on my kibbutz and in 9 of the 10 cases their parents were divorced.

It was then that I realized that Norway was the country I had always sought: The Land of Recycled Blondes.

Last edited by Dovster; Mar 9, 2006 at 8:03 pm Reason: typo