FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - should i go from Platinum to spg?
View Single Post
Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:21 am
LAXRuss

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Originally Posted by precision80
on the spg card, do you not earn MR points? what is it spg points? can i xfer my MR point to spg points. what would happen to them if i closed the plat and got the *wood?
SPG AMEX charges do not go into the MR program. They go straight into the Starwood Hotel program as Starpoints.

As I understand, MR points transfer into Starwood at an extremely disadvantageous rate.

If you want to cancel AMEX Platinum, you basically have to cash out of MR before you cancel your card to be sure you benefit from the points.

The Starwood program is an advantage compared to MR because it can be cashed into more airline miles programs than MR has relationships with and as I understand, you receive an automatic 25% bonus when you transfer at least 20,000 starpoints into an airline program. (Thus, $20,000 in AMEX SPG charges would transfer as 25,000 NW Worldperks miles.) The major downer is that Starpoints transfer I believe into United at a 2 points for 1 mile rate.