FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oslo Norway DO March 16-19 2007
View Single Post
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:11 pm
MikeMpls
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by mikey1003
Only question is....with World Ski Jumping ..will flights and rooms be limited or very expensive???
I'll be adding several more hotel recommendations & a hostel. The hostel will be booked -- if you want cheap digs, you will need to make your reservations early. We were there on Holmenkollen Sunday in 2004 & paid about $115/night (cheap for Oslo) at the Best Western Anker.

For this year's ski jumping weekend for March 10-13 (Fri. checkin, Mon. checkout) on http://www.nwa.com you can still book the Thon Opera for $143+ ($114+) per night or the Thon Terminus for $121+ ($91+) per night for two (one) people with full breakfast buffets. The "+" is the agency's tax/service fee which is just under $8 for the Thon Opera at the $143 rate, i.e. you're looking at a range of $97 (one person) to $151 (two people) if you were to book in these hotels at this late date for this year.

Tickets from MSP (dep. 3/9, ret. 3/13) are available now on CO for $610. On NW last-minute fares are now kicking in so they're at $1020 now, but they could be had for ~$600 a week ago. For the 2004 trip we paid $473 all-in, 3 wk. adv. on NW, Wed. dep., Wed. return.

Having organized 3 trips (2 school reunions) back to Oslo (I also lived there for 3 years), we've learned to stick to hotels near the central train station, which also happens to be adjacent to one of the central subway stations (Jernbanetorget). It's a great city for using mass transit & walking.