FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2/17: Winds cause almost all westbound transcons to technical stop
Old Feb 20, 2006, 3:23 pm
justageek

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by flyinggolfer
I think their return flying time was something like 4:20. Not too bad. Even though they were late, she came away with a very positive impression. In her words, "Everyone was so nice. They kept us updated and passed out drinks and snacks at the gate area while we were waiting." They also comped movies to the entire flight. Seems like the B6 people were trying to make the best of a bad situation. These refueling stops must be killing them.
The part I find vaguely disturbing is that this bad situation was completely foreseen by JetBlue when they purchased the A320's (unless nobody at the company did any fuel/range calculations, which I find hard to believe). They're making quite a gamble that the passengers are going to be understanding about fuel stops and not take their business elsewhere based on a fuel stop delay. They should perhaps put something up on their web page advising their passengers that during the winter, aircraft on westbound transcon flights may need to stop to refuel. The airline (presumably) knew about this from day one, whereas the pax don't find out until it's too late to choose a different airline.