FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Insurance scam?
Thread: Insurance scam?
View Single Post
Old Feb 20, 2006, 2:21 pm
DaveP924

Insurance scam?

Hello Everyone,

I just found this sight and I have to ask the opinion of some more seasoned travelers. I rented a Budget SUV in Vancouver. When I dropped the truck off, two guys decended on it to inspect it in a way I have never seen in my 20 years of renting. Needless to say, they found a stone chip the size of a BB on the front of the hood.

What followed is the most frustrating moment in my rental car history. The kid behind the counter (no manager on duty until Monday) tells me I am responsible for the "damage". He then claims they have to re-paint the hood and hits my VISA for $657. I tell the guy this is madness but damn if he doesn't hit the card. Needless to say, I was not happy.

I guess my question is - is this company policy or is this a more isolated case of what in my opinion amounts to insurance fraud. My credit card provides insurance and they seem willing to take care of it, but I do not like getting ripped off and that is what is happening here. Since when are stone chips not counted as normal wear and tear?