FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LEFT JAN 2010: Sheraton Suzhou, China [Master Thread]
Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:18 am
Life_Platinum

Question

Originally Posted by House
Absolutely - the soft seat (First Class) ticket office at Suzhou is not exactly in an obvious location, and trains can sell out several hours ahead of time.

Even better (if this is an excursion from Shanghai) would be to buy the round trip in Shanghai before leaving - the staff at the soft seat ticket office there speak passable English.
We need recommedations on driving in China!

My wife and I are planning to go to China in the late spring, flying into PVG from ORD. Based on the advice on this board, we decided to go onto Suzhou as well, and a few FTers discussed taking the train. However, we found two other Starwood properties nearby at Wuxi and Nanjing, and wondered about traveling to these properties.

All 4 of the hotels that we considered staying at (Nanjing, Wuxi, Suzhou and Shanghai) have maps with driving directions, so we wondered if any of you have had experience driving in China, which would be a new experience for me. Currently we live in NYC, so that driving is easier even in Rome, and I've driven in Japan and Egypt where I couldn't understand any of the road signs, and had little trouble with Mrs. Life_Platinum as navigator. We also have been to China previously, so that we won't be unfamilar with the customs and bicycles.

Do any of you have experience driving in China, and if so, would you recommend it?