FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta's Sky High Fares
View Single Post
Old Feb 17, 2006, 9:46 am
indufan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PortalGuy
Even if the process sticks you with an unnecessary three-hour layover on the way home and don't see your family. They don't care if you burn out --- you can be replaced with someone more tractible.
Well, this is very short sighted of said company. Turnover cost REAL money. But also goes to what is the value of said employee...both from the employee perspective and the employer perspective.
Originally Posted by Recreation

So why did I book Delta? Two reasons. The main one is because they offered direct flights at convenient times whereas the others had layovers. When a guy is making $100-200 an hour, it doesn't make economic sense to book a flight that is inconvenient or that has a layover because that ends up being non-productive time. Nor does it make my managers, who devote hundreds of hours of their personal time on an airplane, happy to make them sit and wait in an airport.

The second reason I book Delta is because my managers are all frequent flyers. They have status on Delta because Cincinnati is a Delta hub. Status = privileges and perks. They have a better chance of getting bumped to first class, etc., and the airlines will bend over backwards to make them happy if their flight is bumped, etc. Even though Delta routinely robs us blind, I will usually book through them if possible, because it makes sense to keep the work horses of the company happy.
Now, this is the opposite extreme end of this dea. The percentage of flyers making "$100-200 an hour" are so LOW that Delta would be a fool in factoring that in.