FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Delta's Overbooking Practices that bad?
Old Mar 19, 2002, 5:18 pm
Russ21Atl

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors Gold, SPG Gold & Avis First
Is Delta's Overbooking Practices that bad?

From reading recent posts, it seems that (from others' stories) that DL is giving out millions in DL Dollars in bumping pax, and all of DL's flts are horribly oversold.

Please take into acct the big picture. When a situation happens to you personally, then yes, it is the biggest thing in the world at the time, and you are entitled to vent etc (I would too if it happened to me).

Anyway...if you look at the D.O.T. stats:
http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/0203atcr.pdf

page 22 outlines the "Passenger Denied Boarding's" for 2000 and 2001.

For the two years, DL carried 190,417,240 passengers, and only 390,450 were voluntarily denied boarding, representing only a chance of 2 in a thousand that you'd get a chance to volunteer your seat; DL had 10,116 involuntary denied boarding's out of the same figure above, representing a only a chance of 53 in a million that you'd have to involuntarily give up your seat.

If you look at WN's numbers (Southwest): For the two years, WN carried 146,193,851 passengers, and 167,561 were voluntarily denied boarding, representing a chance of 1.14 in a thousand that you'd get a chance to volunteer your seat; WN had 24,796 involuntary denied boarding's out of the same figure above, representing a chance of 339 in a million that you'd have to involuntarily give up your seat.

If you look at CO's numbers: For the two years, CO carried 78,423,122 passengers, and 142,178 were voluntarily denied boarding, representing a chance of 1.8 in a thousand that you'd get a chance to volunteer your seat; CO had 13,025 involuntary denied boarding's out of the same figure above, representing a chance of 331 in a million that you'd have to involuntarily give up your seat.

So, compared to OALs, it looks like DL is doing an OK job.

Hopefully this will open up a nice debate (and I hope my math is correct)

------------------
The information I provide is in no way the authoritative voice of Delta. I do not work for Corporate Communications, nor in Customer Care. I do not represent the final word for Delta when asked a question. I simply try to answer questions to the best of my knowledge, and try to direct people to the correct answer and/or point them in the right direction to find that answer. If you want to double check my answers, please E-Mail Delta Customer Care or just send an e-mail to: [email protected]

Thank you for letting me participate.

[This message has been edited by Russ21Atl (edited 03-19-2002).]