FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OT: occupation of BA FTers
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:54 pm
Andrius

Programs: UA1P, SK S, BA B, SPG G, Hyatt G, HH G, HM Revenue & Customs Lifetime MilkCow Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by Raffles
Leave the US and come to sunny Europe. Get yourself a well paid job with 25-30 days holiday per year (UK) up to 35 days per year (good old France and Germany). Forget that '10 days leave per year' nonsense in the US!

Spend the money from your well paid job on 5-6 weeks of overseas holidays per year. And think of all of those exciting weekends away you could have if you were based in Europe as well! You can probably fly to 20 different countries within 3 hours of London.
I would caution against too rosy a picture ^

While I absolutely agree with the benefit of long European-style holidays, there are some things that we hapilly endure without realizing that things might be a bit different. I am sure 41% income tax is one thing that necessitates frequent holidays so that you can get your mind off Chancellor Gordon Brown before killing yourself.

And another thing. I flew UA the other Sunday from London and they give out a British Sunday newspaper which has a name starting with "O" and which I don't knowingly buy. Well one hour into the flight I was beginning to realize why .

There was a letters' page following an earlier busybody crusading article berating the evils of international air travel and what should be done to stop it . In this carnival of deluded killjoy pinko hate, suggestions ranged from "taxing the airline fuel heavily", banning any airport development and (my favourite) allocating everyone a quota of air travel in miles per annum.

At least in the US I have never seen anyone peddling this very popular European lie about airline industry being propped up "by means of subsidizing jet fuel". Apparently jet fuel not being taxed at the same rate as petrol makes it "subsidized". Think about all this government-subsidized air we are breathing: thanks to the Government it is not taxed one penny!

Rant over.

Last edited by Andrius; Feb 13, 2006 at 12:56 pm