FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Playing The Hyatt "Resort" Lottery
View Single Post
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:29 am
aa4ever

Originally Posted by Dakota
Wow, tough crowd... I did not ask for advice on how to handle my personal complaint, am happy with the way I dealt with it and with the way it has subsequently been resolved, so I am bemused by people's near-exclusive focus on my that, rather than what caused the situation in the first place.

There was no "physical confrontation" or "mugging" - that is just absurd - and I can assure you that I am no pushover. The fact is that the certificate was not valid at that hotel. By the same principle, do those who have replied so robustly above think that it should have been honoured if expired, from another hotel group, forged or copied, if I had presented an invalid credit card...? Where do you draw the line at forcing staff to honour a mistake?

I really do think that the fault lies with Hyatt for failing to disclose this hidden list of "Resorts" and I am surprised that there has been so little comment on that, for me critical, aspect.
I agree totally that the initial fault lies 100% with Hyatt. However, the hotel, once having given you the upgrade, should have let it rest. Remember, this is the service industry. Plus, the room probably would not have been occupied - might as well make a Diamond happy.

Think it you had a coupon from, say, Bath and Body Works for a certain product. It says that it is not valid for "Aromatherapy" products (which is a certain line). But let's say they consider Aromatherapy products all their spa products (i.e. True Blue Spa, etc). Would it be fair for you to go and try to use this coupon on the True Blue Spa product and have them say that this is an "Aromatherapy" product? No, of course not! If it says not valid on Aromatherapy, then it is ONLY not valid on Aromatherapy. Even if it was a mistake, then they should still honor the coupon you have.

Similarly, I went to Brooks Brothers once for some custom shirts. They happened to have gone off sale the day before, but the sign was still up. Did they nickle-and-dime me for the full price? Of course not; they just gave me the discount price. That is what real service is about.

Edited to add: what if you were at a hospital? You schedule an appointment, take time off from work, present your insurance card, and they tell you you will be taken at x time. Well, right when you are supposed to be taken, they come to you and tell you that your insurance doesn't actually cover the exact procedure you want. You can get one that might not help or you can pay out of pocket. Is this fair? It is the same thing that happened in this Hyatt. Either way (even if this example is more life-death), the hospital/hotel was wrong.

Last edited by aa4ever; Feb 11, 2006 at 11:39 am