FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suitcase Size and the 55lb limit...?
View Single Post
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:09 am
Flaflyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
My understanding is that the limit was imposed for the health and safety of the baggage handlers having to continually lift heavy loads. Thats how it was explained at LGW anyway
Silly me, I always thought that lifting heavy weights is exercise which makes you better able to lift heavy weights. Or are all those folks pumping iron at Golds Gym mistaken?

Yes it is easier to lift 50 pound bags all day than 70 pound bags.

However, this "safety of the bag tossers" is bunk. They still take heavy bags, just charge you for it. I now see "heavy" stickers on some bags, but the same handlers have to load them. Does being warned that a bag is heavy make it easier for the handler to lift it? What if every pax on one plane brings a 70 pound bag and pays extra? Do the handlers union have a Maximum Percentage of Heavy Bags Per Plane rule?

10 pounds off the average bag for 200 pax is a ton not carried. I think the fuel savings are the driving factor for the airlines on this one.

If it is a safety issue, then they need to put a scale at the airport door with a sign "Warning Strict 50 pound limit, NO exceptions. Weigh your bag here and either take some junk back to your car or there's the trash can. 50.1 pounds and your bag aint flying today even if you are. Thank you for flying User Friendly Airlines." Then enforce it till the public gets the idea.