FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gold Companion Upgrade vs. Silver
View Single Post
Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:51 am
PIT_Flyer

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
Gold Companion Upgrade vs. Silver

Been a while since I posted here. Was supposed to attend the do, but a throat problem took a turn for the worse and I'm now in line for surgery (I'll post details in Omni for those interested)

Anyway, I'm flying to PIT-IAH-DFW this weekend while my wife will be flying IAH-DFW on the same flight. I'm Gold while she's Silver.

Is there any advantage in trying to upgrade her as my companion instead of letting her upgrade be processed as a Silver? I guess I'm asking who will be upgraded first - gold companion or silver...

For those with significant others who've been in similar situations before, what do you normally do?
1. Tell the gate agent that you don't want the upgrade if your SO isn't upgraded.
2. Upgrade the lucky person who's sitting next to your SO in coach.
3. Let your SO fly upfront while you take her seat in coach.

I'd think the "correct" answer is #1, so that the next person on the list gets upgraded. I honestly don't care much if I have to sit in coach to ride with my wife, but I'm sure some elite would be pissed as hell if my lowly silver elite wife sits upfront...God forbid I sit in coach and let some lucky passenger in coach ride upfront in my seat so that my wife and I ride together...