FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Did I see a dead body being loaded into the cargo hold?
Old Feb 1, 2006, 2:48 pm
Flaflyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by BamaVol
True, but even on the smallest private plane, I can't imagine her buckled into a seat.
Not so. A number of years back in one of the Flying magazines was an article, one of those Worst Job I ever Had type. Newly minted commercial pilot got a job to build up hours: flying bodies home. I think it was in the Midwest. In a Cessna 172 or so. No place to lay out body, put em in a military plastic body bag and sit em in the back seat. With a seat belt on, of course. Sometimes flying at night.

The real fun part: Seems things like the bacteria inside you like in the digestive system don't know you are now at ambient temperature. So they live on a few days, working away, producing gas. Combine that with a sudden change of altitude, and all gas must pass. Apparently there is enough to cause noise and even motion of the dearly departed. What fun for the low time commercial pilot flying alone with the moving moaning body at night.