FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canceled flight for medical reasons... refund?
Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:10 am
Flyer1965

Location: NC USA (AA 2 Million Miler, AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold)
AA gave us a break

Cancel your trip and of course you have a year to use your tickets (on most non-refundable fares), less the $100 per ticket fee. My wife needed emergency surgery on 48 hours notice, she had her operation the day our flight was to leave. AA Cust service said fax a letter with documentation, and I explained the prob, told about all the other hotel non-refundable deposits I was losing, and pleaded mercy, said "You know why I fly" etc.

They were very gracious, sent a letter, and gave me vouchers for the full amount. I'm lifetime gold with almost 2 million miles, so that may have helped, and I pointed it out to them. So your mileage may vary, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Our tickets were like $900 each.

AA is cool in my book!

we also included all the documentation from the Doctor plus the correspondence showing we cancelled the hotel and rental cars, it was about 15 pages long what we faxed

Last edited by Flyer1965; Jan 25, 2006 at 11:14 am Reason: added