FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LUS: The ugly truth about LUS ("West" 757) First Class service to Hawaii
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:38 am
CloudsBelow

Originally Posted by Ken in Phx
Spoke w/ a AWA rep on the phone and she seemed to think that it would take considerable time to get anotehr type of plane on this route due to the overwater items needed to fly this place. Said that it took 12-18 mos for AWA to get the 752's ready for the Hawaii flight? Is US Airbus not fitted for this type of overwater travel?

If not seems at least a year away. I dont know much about this so it seemed plausible to me. Anyone else have a better thought to add?

Ken in Phx
People, Hawaii (and LAS and FLA, and PHX) are predominantly LEISURE destinations. US has the worst fleet selection for flights to Hawaii of any carrier. The 75s cannot do it, the 330s have too much F. The only option is the 762s which are deployed on 2nd tier Europe routes. Hawaii was a dumb decision by US and they're getting what they deserve here. Anyone who books US Airways to Hawaii from here out is gambling and sometime the dice doesn't roll your way. UAs 777s, 763s, AAs 763s, 752s, COs 764s, NWs 753s and DC 10s are far more reliable options.

I wish US luck (had great service with them yesterday, BTW) but when you make stupid decisions re: route startups, you will pay the price down the line.