FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Home again! Experience at airport
View Single Post
Old Sep 15, 2001, 1:59 pm
cataber

Programs: AA EXP
I got home yesterday by flying BNA-CVG-PHL. I was originally scheduled to fly BNA-ATL-EWR, but went to the airport that I was just going to be as patient as possible and get on the first plane that had space that would get me closer to NJ.

Incidentally (and I might regret saying this), but perhaps the best $50 I have ever spent was on a one-day membership to the CRC. Since I went to the airport at 9:00am and did not get in to PHL until 9:30pm, I spent a lot of time there, both in BNA and CVG. MUCH shorter lines for ticketing issues and the drinks and comfy seats were more than worth the 50 bucks.

As for security, I was actually expecting more than I saw. I had to show ID at pretty much every ticket counter, but that is pretty much standard. The only other changes I noticed was that I was asked about ANY sharp objects (including nail clippers) and that I had to show ID at the security checkpoint as well. I was wand searched and patted down from the waist down, but never had to open my bags. I didn't hang around to watch how many were searched more thoroughly, but I was actually surprised that I wasn't asked more questions.

Once I got to CVG, the CRC told me that getting to EWR, LGA, or JFK was "probably not" going to happen, and that HPN, SWF, and Allentown, PA (ABE?) were shut down. They were able to confirm me on one flight to PHL and another one to BWI, and put me on standby on two other flights. The display monitors were totally unreliable, though, as I almost missed my confirmed flight to PHL because the monitors in the CRC and the terminal never displayed a departure time for my flight. As it was, I made it on to the 3pm flight to PHL that didn't leave until 6:30pm and we landed in PHL at about 8:30pm.

On the CVG-PHL flight, the pilot came over the intercom as we prepared for push-back to commend all of us for showing the rest of the world that America will not be intimidated into staying on the ground, and saying that we represented what was best about America by taking to the air so quickly after such a difficult week. When he finished, there was spontaneous applause, and again when we landed - something I've only witnessed before on long international flights or very turbulent flights.

All-in-all, a good day, but a long one. And I'm back to it all tomorrow, though hopefully EWR will be more opened up by then for DL.