FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Home again! Experience at airport
View Single Post
Old Sep 15, 2001, 1:56 pm
RSSrsvp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Just returned this afternoon on DL406, FLL-LGA. I arrived at FLL at 8AM for an 11:15 departure. I was asked for my photo ID at the ticket counter, the scanner machine and again at the gate. The F/Medallion line moved quickly and I received my boarding pass in less than 5 minutes of waiting on line. Spent the rest of the wait in the new CRC until they were boarding. They were short 1 FA and the departure was delayed 20 minutes.

Once onboard, the pilot kept the door to the cockpit open until we reached the takeoff runway. I was shocked not to see the door closed before we left the gate. In addition he didn't even warn the FA's to prepare for takeoff and the FA in F was taking our food orders when he fired up the engines to takeoff. To say the least, she was in shock and jumped into an open seat. The rest of the flight was uneventful until we flew past the Southern tip on Manhattan and I saw the smoke still coming up from the site of the WTC. It brought tears back to my eyes all over again.

I live on the Westside of Manhattan 2 blocks from the American Red Cross headquarters on Amsterdam Ave. and 66th street. There were people lined up down the block to give blood and donate money. This will be my first stop as soon as I unpack.

God Bless America!