FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Immigration Exit Controls in Canada/Toronto?
Old Jan 17, 2006, 6:17 am
okko

Programs: AA, CO, AF-KL, [EI]
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Perhaps filing a statement with your foreign ministry, local political representative and local press would be helpful too.

We Americans may be spied upon by our own government without a warrant, but we are not listened to in the ways some of us used to be listened to in the recent past. And when it comes to trying to make America the welcoming place that serves our material interests, this is unfortunately no exception.

Can't say I blame you. (For 2007, I'm likely to clear HEL immigration more than any single airport's US immigration. I hope they prove more welcoming. )
While I find it extremely difficult to comment on policies of other countries than Finland, I certainly think it's problematic if people start avoiding travel to the US.

This reminds me of how a colleague of my dad's travelled to a conference in Panama via Caracas recently (instead of Miami which route my dad used) - just to avoid having to go through US immigration.

As for Finnish immigration, hard to say - at least you're not likely to be finger-printed. I seriously don't know how welcoming they are, but I do wish you a lot of smooth arrivals at HEL!