FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL Tested Removing Capacity Controls for Awards on DL Domestic & Intl BizElite Trips
Old Jan 16, 2006, 12:12 pm
indufan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MileKing
I posted in the "Only Randy Peterson" forum that I didn't think DL deserved any awards for this as it was only a test. The time to give them an award is when they move to no capacity controls as a permanent feature of the SkyMiles program, if it ever happens. Randy believes an award would encourage DL and others to continue testing and give the idea more consideration.....FWIW, I tend to doubt it.

In thinking about DL's test further, it's not clear what they were really testing. I believe the claim was to see if they could meet current award demand without capacity controls. Of course, since the test was not advertised until after the fact, whatever results they received are of questionable usefulness. People were/are operating under the assumption that awards are capacity controlled and thus likely tend to book much further out than they would if capacity controls were lifted. In fact, if DL did lift the controls, a number of people might switch their airline of choice to DL, increasing the number of miles awarded and the number of redemption requests. Not clear how they could correct for this in the results. If the test had been advertised, it would have skewed the results as well since everyone and their brother would have tried to book awards.
Wow, this is the proverbial catch 22. Yes, if Delta switched to unlimited SkySaver, nearly every frequent flyer in the game would switch to them. But then, the planes would be so full of free seats, no one would be able to buy a ticket. But, it's a moot point, if they did it, it would take the competition about a day and a half to match it but I am sure right now that is something no one in the industry wants to happen.