FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - is it okay to save DVDs rented from Netflix and watch them on planes later?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:34 pm
CPRich
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by pinniped
Yeah, I agree...I don't see anything ethically wrong with viewing a hard-drive copy of a Netflix DVD and then deleting it before you return the disc. It's not a question of whether you'd get caught - you wouldn't - and I don't even think it's a question of right and wrong. You aren't violating the spirit of your Netflix subscription (e.g., using the strategy to hoard movies on a cheap plan) and you aren't sharing or retaining the content.
It's hard to argue that it's not a question of right and wrong when it is explicily prohibited by Netflix.

All content included on the Netflix Web site and delivered to subscribers as part of the service, including DVDs, text, graphics, logos, designs, photographs, button icons, images, audio/video clips, digital downloads, data compilations, and software, is the property of Netflix, Inc., or its suppliers and is protected by United States and international copyright laws.

Netflix reserves the right to terminate your membership hereunder if Netflix, in its sole and absolute discretion, believes that you are in violation of this paragraph, such violations including the copying of DVDs rented to you by us or the copying or other unauthorized use of our proprietary content. Netflix does not promote, foster or condone the copying of DVDs or any other infringing activity.

I'm nobody's Nanny, so do whatever you please, but don't try to justify using incorrect facts. It is indeed a violation of the TOS. And to do it, you most likely need to violate the DMCA also.